Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Operation Torchlight - Training Continues


Monday, June 23rd


The first six days of training for the Seattle Seafair Torchlight Parade 5 Mile Run continue. I have been adhering to FDr. (Future Docter) Tegeder's prescription. Day 2 was a minimum 20 minute fast walk - "Walkings, yeah, I think I can walk.." Day three was a 10 minute fast walk, followed by a 5 minute jog, then a 10 minute walk. I went to the Lindbergh High School track. My walking covered 2&1/2 laps, and the jog was about a lap and a half. All the while I was jogging, I was thinking, "I don't know know about tomorrow." "Tomorrow", Saturday, was a scheduled one mile jog. (Photo:) Ringo gets a break with a shorter-legged human, Grandson Noah Tegeder


I don't think I've actually run a full mile in over ten years. I've spent a lot of hours on an elliptical machine in the past year and one-half, but very little actually running. I spent all morning doing yard work, then donned the running close. Ringo, our dog and training partner sees me in sweats and he thinks good things are going to happen.


We walked up to the high school as a warm-up (1.3 miles) and then there it was: the track, and four laps waiting to be assaulted before I could go home. It wasn't easy, but I did it. During the last lap, I felt like letting go of the leash and just saying "Go head Ringo, you can finish without me." Time: 13:10 for the mile. As I was running, I was thinking to myself that I can't comprehend running five miles by the 19th. But I'm going to follow the prescription and see what happens.

Sunday on my running plan is always a rest and recovery day. Saturdays are the long days. FDr. Tegeder has me running a mile further every Saturday. So now this coming Saturday's Two-Mile run is already looming.

Sunday we went up to Andy & Julie's and had dinner and spent some time with his family.


1 comment:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Good job on finishing the 1-miler. The first 2 miles are always the hardest in any race.