Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Still on Track, Literally & Figuratively

Wednesday, June 25th

It's midweek and I'm still on track with the running prescription for the Seattle Seafair Torchlight Parade Run.

Monday's prescription was:
4 minute jog
5 minute walk
4 minute jog
5 minute walk
jog until tired
I covered the timed part of the prescription over about a mile and a quarter. Then I started the "jog until tired" part of the plan. Jog until tired?...I'm already tired! But I stuck it out for a full quarter mile and then walked two more laps to get in a full two miles.

Tuestday's plan was:
20 minute fast walk. - "Walk?" To quote Barak Obama, "Yes I Can!" Wendy and I went to Ikea for dinner. She had a yearning for their meatballs. I went for the rice pilaf. Bad choice. Plenty of rice, way too much pilaf. Interesting how when a food has just the type of seasonings you like, it's really, really good. But, when that combination goes in the wrong direction, well, I was hungry, but I didn't finish my dinner. We had Ringo my training partner in the car waiting for us. I walked home - 2.2 miles, most of it uphill.

Wednesday's plan:
1 mile jog, walking as needed. - I went up to Lindbergh High School to do the run. I walked two laps to get warmed up, walking with Wendy and Ringo. Then it was off to the races. OK, not to the races, but I did start the jog. The Ipod was providing Beach Boy tunes. I found that "409" was the perfect cadence, so I listened to it three times. 409 was a hot Oldsmobile car in the 60's. Either it meant the car had an engine with 409 cubic inches, or the marketers felt "409" just sounded cool. At any rate, Oldsmobile went on to become a car that people stopped buying. When they all look alike, why buy an Olds? Perhaps the competion from the cleaner Formula 409 made the car seem less enviable in the eyes of the buying public. I know that personally I've vowed to never purchase a car with the same name as Clorox.

I did the mile in 14:15, delayed by the dog for a short time. Total distance running and walking was three miles. Who knows, maybe I can pull this off yet. However, Saturday's two-mile jog assignment is starting to lurk.

No comments: